By Elizabeth Dubos
I have owned cats throughout my entire life, so I am bit biased on why you should get a cat, too. However, I would not say that I am 100% a cat person because I do own a dog, two rabbits, and a fish tank. Furthermore, I am a passionate animal lover. Throughout my life, I have adopted adult and senior cats. It wasn’t until I was 22 years old that I adopted my first kitten. Cats are definitely in my top five favorite animals. Cats of all ages can be fun because they come in different sizes, colors, and have vastly different personalities. Here is a list of benefits of owning a cat.
Disclaimer: Cats are real-life animals that require food, attention, and medical care. Therefore, they should NOT be holiday gifts because any type of pet is a serious commitment!
1. They can lower your risk of heart disease because they help owners to destress.
2. Cat owners get better sleep because they relax more with a small sleeping companion.
3. Owning a cat can help reduce your overall stress level because you focus on feeding and playing with them. This helps to take your mind off of stressors.
4. A cat’s purr has therapeutic properties. “For centuries, healers have used the power of sound in their work. It is believed that certain frequencies or tones of sound can have varying healing effects on the body. Cat purring has been shown to fall between 25 and 140 Hz. The same frequency has been shown to aid in the healing of broken bones, joint and tendon repair, and wound healing. There are many stories of people with migraines whose headaches are eased or extinguished when they lie with their heads close to purring cats.” If you want to read more please click on this link: https://www.purrfectpost.com/healing-purrs-how-your-cat-can-help-you-heal/
5. Cats can help reduce your anxiety and depression because they can serve as emotional support during difficult times. (I can attest to this because one of my cats Lacie would come to me and lay on me wherever I was going through a difficult time.)
6. Owning a cat may help you find a significant other. Cats are great conversation topic for date night!
7. If you’re looking to add another member to your family, cats are less expensive to own than dogs. According to the ASPCA they did a breakdown of food and supplies, grooming and training, and veterinarian bills; The study concluded that cats are more affordable. If you want to read more please click on this link: https://www.moneytalksnews.com/which-is-cheaper-cats-or-dogs/
8. Cats are low maintenance compared to dogs. You don’t need to worry about a walking schedule or grooming appointments. However, you still need to ensure their litter box is clean and that they get their daily meals and play time.
9. Cats are considered an eco-friendly pet because they have a small carbon footprint compared to other pets.
10. Cats have a longer lifespan than most pets and can live up to 14 years. If they live longer, you’re real lucky that you’ve got a happy and healthy kitty companion.
Edited by: Emily Chance