Books From Home
By Klancy Hoover
As I looked at the books I’ve read over time on Goodreads, I thought it was interesting that only a couple of the books I read took place in my local area. New York seems to be the popular setting for most contemporary books, at least the ones that I’ve read, which makes sense because it’s a setting that is so well known to readers. Everyone has heard of New York and seen pieces of it in movies or in real-life. But I was curious to search for books that were set in my state, Indiana, and was surprised to find that there were a few books that were well-known in the reading community. Here are a few that I found:
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven
I think it would be very interesting to read these three books and see where they take place in Indiana. Not only to read about a state I live in, but also to consider the places that the setting takes place in each book. Is there a coffee shop in the book that I haven’t been to? Or a restaurant that I would want to try? I really feel like reading these three books will help me learn more about my home state and will encourage me to explore more. There are so many places in Indiana that I haven’t been to, and it would be interesting to see how the books portray them.
I highly recommend reading books that take place in the city you live in as well. You could learn about cool hangout spots that you’ve never considered visiting before. If you’re traveling, reading books that take place in the city you’re traveling to could help you get an idea of where you would want to visit or what you should expect to encounter while you’re there. Books are often inspired by real-life experiences and, hopefully, they will be able to inspire you to explore different cities to create your own memories and unforgettable experiences.
Edited by Emily Chance
Graduation Gift Ideas
By Elizabeth Dubos
All the gifts recommended in this blog post are not sponsored.
1. Graduation Snow Globe – Snow globes make great graduation gifts because you can personalize it and make it meaningful. You can add special messages to congratulate them on all their hard work. Things Remembered features online and physical locations, so you can either pick up the globe in stores or it can arrive on your doorstep. The store offers graduation snow globes for the special someone in your life for all ages. Things Remembered offers Mickey Mouse globes, nurse globes, and graduation caps globes. The globes range from $40.00 to $75.00. Plus, Things Remembered offers coupons to help make the snow globes more cost-effective.
2. Dinnerware Set – If the recent graduate in your life is headed off to college, graduate school, or starting their new career, chances are they will need dinnerware. Often, recent graduates eat out because it’s easier; however, it’s not cost-effective. Consider buying the graduate in your life a dinnerware set. Dinnerware sets include plates, silverware, cups, and mugs. Dinnerware sets can range in different sizes too, so if you have more than one graduate then they can all utilize the dinnerware too. I recommend the 32-piece black and white combo dinnerware set from Home Depot because it’s $39.57 and satisfies traditional dinnerware needs. If you know they have dinnerware, then you can stop in and see your special someone for Sunday dinners.
3. Luggage – Don’t worry, you’re not pushing your graduate out; this gift helps ensure they will return home. Help your graduate travel in style, rather than with garbage bags. I would recommend luggage sets from PB Teen. Often, luggage sets can be easily mistaken for someone else’s and you can lose its contents. PB Teen offers the ability to customize your luggage. Plus, they offer creative designs, colors, and patterns. When you enter your email, you can obtain a 15% off coupon to make the purchase more cost-effective.
4. Watch – Does your graduate need help to keep track of time? A watch will ensure they get to their job interviews, classes, and more on time. Things Remembered offers watches for men and women. Plus, you can get their graduation watch engraved with a personal message to make it more memorable.
5. Engraved Business Card Holder – Whether the special someone in your life graduated from high school, vocational-trade school, or college, it is highly recommended that they have a business card. Business cards are a professional way to market yourself to get the job of your dreams. Information can be easily lost if it’s only on a piece of paper or buried in someone’s phone contacts. A business card holder will help your graduate keep track of business cards they keep and their personal ones to give out. Business card holders start at $10.00 on Vistaprint. You can easily order business cards and holders through Vistaprint.
6. Coffee Maker – You might be thinking coffee? I don’t want my graduate to be drinking too much coffee! Hear me out. Your graduate is going be working very hard in vocational school, college, or starting out at their new career. Help them get ready in the morning with a new coffee machine. This way, they’re not spending money every day at Starbucks or Dunkin’ Donuts. Amazon has great options for coffee makers that range from different sizes and prices.
Edited by Klancy Hoover