My Favorite YouTubers
By Elizabeth Dubos
It’s important to relax to recover from the everyday stresses of work, family, and social obligations. Unfortunately, I am not the type of person who can easily relax, nor do I have a lot of time to devote to relaxing. YouTube has become instrumental in helping me relax. It’s easily accessible, and the videos come in different lengths, so whether I have five minutes or an hour, I am fitting in time to relax. This was important to me because I have a time-consuming schedule, and it’s easy to feel like there’s never enough time in the day. Therefore, it makes me feel defeated when I can’t accomplish everything I had hoped to. So, when I finish watching a YouTube video it offers a small sense of accomplishment. Plus, watching YouTube videos gives me something to look forward to because they’re always uploading new content. YouTube has helped me achieve other relaxation techniques as well. I laugh while watching funny videos. I listen to calming nature sounds and people discussing books, makeup, and true crime. I follow along in exercise and yoga routines. Also, I’ve watched a variety of cooking and baking videos. Here is a list of my favorite YouTubers that have helped me to relax. I wanted to note that I watch and support other creators as well, but these are the ones that I predominately watch on a weekly basis.
1. Bailey Sarian. On Mondays, she uploads a segment called ‘Murder, Mystery, and Makeup’ where she discusses true crime while doing her makeup. All of the makeup she uses throughout the video is listed in the description box below the video. In previous videos, she’s discussed serial killers, cults, and unsolved mysteries. She has a charismatic and inviting personality that immediately captures my attention when watching her videos. Also, I enjoy the sound of her voice because it’s relaxing.
2. Simply Nailogical & Simply Pod Logical, Cristine Rotenberg with Ben Mazowita. Her channel originated with nail art tutorials and has evolved to feature more comedic content. For example, ‘Swimming in a Pool of Tea,’ ‘I Instruct my Boyfriend to Paint My Nails in French,’ and ‘Recreating My Life in The Sims.’ Often her common in-law partner Ben and their furry feline children Menchie and Zyler will make appearances. In addition to her YouTube career, she is the CEO of her nail polish company HOLO TACO and has a full-time job as a crime statistics analyst. This was inspirational because it demonstrates how you don’t have to commit to one career for the rest of your life.
On Tuesday, Cristine and her common in-law partner Ben upload a weekly podcast to their channel Simply Pod Logical. They discuss personal topics such as their high school/university experiences, families, cats, fitness journey, relationships, jobs before YouTube, and the Nail Polish community. Listening to their podcast is entertaining and relaxing because the content is relatable.
3. NikkieTutorials, Nikkie de Yager. She is a Dutch makeup artist and beauty vlogger. Her content consists of makeup tutorials, product testing, celebrities’ makeovers, and makeup challenges. In addition, she regularly offers life updates, so her audience knows how’s she doing. Nikkie is funny, engaging, and super talented. I enjoy her content because it demonstrates her creativity and honesty.
4. BooksandLala, Kayla or Lala. Lala is a popular BookTuber that uploads content 2-3 times a week. Her videos consist of vlogs, book hauls, reviews, reading challenges, and offers book recommendations. Lala’s channel mainly focuses on mysteries, thrillers, horror, contemporaries, and anthologies. These are some of my favorite genres to read too, so I enjoy listening to her thoughts and suggestions.
5. Threadbanger, Rob Czar and Corinne Leigh. Originally, the couple would focus on re-creating DIY Pinterest, cooking, and science projects. One of their most popular series was called ‘Man vs House’ where they bought and remodeled a home. However, in 2019, Rob experienced a massive heart attack and had to be placed in a medically induced coma. His recovery has been slow, so the content is no longer regular. The couple are taking this time to focus on their physical and mental health. I continuously watch their old videos because I love their dynamic, creativity, and talent.
6. Corinne Leigh’s Personal Channel. Corrine’s personal channel features more of her hobbies that include cooking, gardening, dyeing her hair, and her cats. Throughout her videos she discusses what’s going on in her life. In the past month, she uploaded a video where Rob helps her dye her hair purple. Her videos are relatable, comedic, and entertaining. Her DIY voodoo doll catnip video inspired me to create toys for my cats to enjoy.
7. The Try Guys, Keith Habersberger, Ned Fulmer, Zach Kornfeld, and Eugene Lee Yang. The Try Guys regularly upload a wide variety of comedic content for their audience. Their motto is to try everything for the audience’s entertainment. One of my favorite series was baking/cooking without a recipe. In each episode they had to bake different flavors of pie, bread, and ice cream. Every time I watch one of their videos I immediately smile.
8. Rosanna Pansino. She is an actress, singer, author, and baker. On YouTube she is well-known for her baking series, ‘Nerdy Nummies.’ The show features appetizers, meals, and desserts that are fantasy, sci-fi, comic book, anime, movie, TV, and video game related. Throughout the year she posts seasonal holiday recipes for everyone to enjoy. In addition to baking, she posts challenge videos with her boyfriend, Mike Lamond or Husky, collaborations with other YouTubers, funny videos of her dogs Coconut and Blueberry Muffin, and vlogs with life updates. I love the diversity of her content because it keeps her channel fresh and memorable. In her videos she’s talented, creative, smart, sweet, and funny. I bought and have used recipes from her Nerdy Nummies and seasonal cookbook.
9. Blogilates, Cassey Ho. Cassey is a Pilates instructor and primarily posts fitness and nutrition videos. She created specific workouts for different muscle groups such as abs, thighs, arms, legs, and butt. Her workouts range from beginner to advanced levels. Her nutrition videos feature quick, easy, and affordable healthy recipes. She uses her platform to promote a healthy lifestyle and body image. One of the main reasons why I love Cassey’s channel is her ideas about health. She doesn’t believe in the perfect body and understands that everyone has different fitness goals whether it’s to gain muscle or lose weight. She wants to help people achieve their fitness goals and improve their overall mental state. Ever since I started regularly watching and doing her workout videos, I’ve noticed that my body is more toned. Also, I love her nutrition videos because they are simple and delicious.