By Elizabeth Dubos
Disclaimer: I am not a healthcare professional.
The school season is underway as parents, children, and young adults gather their scholastic materials to succeed throughout the upcoming school year. Whether you’re physically attending school or attending an online school, it’s important to have healthy snacks available. It’s easy to succumb and grab snacks that are highly processed, high in sugar, and ultimately not healthy for you. This includes Pop-Tarts, chips, cookies, ice cream, and boxed granola bars. (If you like granola bars, I provided a healthier option below). Here is a list of healthy snack recommendations to help you succeed in school.
1. Fruit. You can try strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, grapes, pineapple grapefruit, avocado, apple, orange, banana, cantaloupe, pears, or peaches. It is important to eat fruit that is low in sugar because it will satisfy your sweet tooth without raising your insulin (sugar) levels. This can be watermelon, strawberries, or grapefruit. Fruit is an essential part of your diet because it contains the necessary vitamins, minerals, and fiber to boost your brain power. Bananas, oranges, and blueberries are excellent snacks to eat while studying because the antioxidants will enhance your memory.
2. Peanut butter. You can eat it off a spoon, crackers, toast, celery or an apple. Peanut butter is a great source of brainpower because it is packed with protein.
3. Hardboiled eggs. You can lightly sprinkle salt them or turn them into deviled eggs or egg salad. Hardboiled eggs are filled with protein and are low in calories, fat, and carbs. Here is a recipe to learn how to make hardboiled eggs. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_perfect_hard_boiled_eggs/
4. Homemade granola bars. They’re delicious, nutritious, easy to grab, and don’t make a mess when you’re studying for tests. Here is a list of 10 homemade granola bar recipes. There are sugar-free, dairy-free, and vegan recipe options too. https://nutritioninthekitch.com/10-healthy-homemade-granola-bars/
5. Dark chocolate. This is to be eaten in moderation! Dark chocolate is excellent because it reduces your stress while improving your memory and immune system. If you’d like to read more about the benefits and its nutrition, please click the following link. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-health-benefits-dark-chocolate
6. Yasso frozen treats. They are a frozen Greek yogurt treat that are low in calories, sugars, and carbs. This is a great snack for the all the ice cream lovers out there. Whether you like sweet, salty, or crunchy Yasso has you covered. Yasso features numerous flavors such as mint chocolate crunch, vanilla chocolate crunch, sea salt caramel, triple peanut butter, and black raspberry chip. Yasso frozen treats are available in grocery stores, Costco, Target, and Walmart.
Edited by Haley Mendenhall